20 January 2006

Happy New Year


Image hosting by Photobucket


Image hosting by Photobucket


Image hosting by Photobucket


Welcome to my web nook, the link between my own wild woods and their imagined, virtual and prototypical counterparts, those being the best terms I can think of for all the possible dimensions in which they exist.


Wood Castle, for instance, looks a lot different to me than it would to a visitor. A visitor might miss the butterfly garden and see only the stockaded remains of an old aboveground pool. A visitor expecting something in stone and turrets might not experience their incarnation in vinyl and wood. But any home is still, twenty-first century or not, a refuge and a fortress and a piece of earth to nurture and protect along with its wildlife, a haven for family and friends, a headquarters for their activities. State of mind has a lot to do with it. Some people inhabit temporary shelters all their lives, never developing any connection with their surroundings. Others, if they have only a windowless room with a spider in it, will abide there wholeheartedly, if perhaps half in a land of dreams.


Isn't life mostly what happens in our thoughts plus what we choose to notice in our surroundings and what we care to remember of our actions or lack of action, or what happens to us despite our other plans? Two people experience the same cataclysm, and one reacts with sometimes disturbing optimism, and another with sometimes hilarious pessimism. They grow or they self-destruct, but never for the same reason. However much they shared in the bare facts connected with the event, they experienced it differently.


Imagination is power. That's what I'm thinking about today.


Thanks for stopping by!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sue, I love this post, and the pictures are gorgeous. I am SOOOOO jealous! I'm teasing, but I do envy anyone with such serene surroundings. Thanks for sharing.
Pat Browning

10:39 AM  
Blogger The_Gnarled_Branch said...

Very nice place there...
with your hectic lifestyle, I'm sure having an oasis like this to have your home must certainly help!

take care,
The Gnarled Branch
aka
Dave

7:38 AM  
Blogger Tigerpixie said...

Beautiful pictures Sue! I have added your Blog to my faves list :)

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free counters provided by Andale.